from ARGENTINA : +54 115 252 1423
from ITALY : +39 024 032 6417
from MEXICO : +52 554 628 2555
from USA : +1 866 376 7831
from UK : +44 203 318 6993
from SPAIN : +34 911878153
WORLDWIDE : +1 305 538 9697
The boutique Hotel Molí del Mig is located 1 km away from Torroella de Montgri, a fascinating and historical area, the perfect location for outdoor activities of all kinds. The region, known as Baix Empordà, boasts a great variety of landscapes: from the coast with its rugged coastal mountains, picturesque fishing villages and sandy beaches (6 km away from the beach of la Gola, opposite to the Medes Islands) to the peaceful rolling fields and hills of the interior with its beautiful medieval villages set in fruit orchards, vineyards and rice fields.
地址: Camí del Molí s/n - Torroella de Montgrí, 17257, Spain
The 13th-14th century urban structure of Torroella de Montgrí is a good example of classical Roman camp type layout. The old part of the town is surrounded by promenades that trace the path of the former defence walls, of which some vestiges remain: the 15th-16th century Torre de les Bruixes (Witches’ Tower), evoking legendary witches who once prevented a Catalan king from entering the town, and the 14th century Santa Caterina gate, the only remaining of the six original entrances to Torroella. The four main streets of the old town, Carrer d’Ullà, Carrer Primitiu Artigas, Carrer Major and Carrer de l´Església, converge onto the Plaça de la Vila, the main porticoed square surrounded by pleasant, irregular arcades and dominated by the 15th-16th century Town Hall façade and a large 18th century sundial. Both Carrer Major and Carrer de l´Església have buildings of great historical interest: 15th-17th century houses such as Casa Hospital, Casa Pastors, Casa Sastregener, Casa Sagué; the superb Solterra Palace; and two colonial style houses. Mirador Palace, formerly belonging to the Counts of Torroella but now converted into a luxury hotel, is situated on Passeig de l’Església. Other buildings of note in Torroella de Montgrí include Casa Quintana, seat of the new Mediterranean Cultural Centre and the 17th-18th century Hospital, a noble construction with chapel and small cloister. The main shopping streets are Carrer d’Ullà, Carrer de Sant Agustí and Carrer de la Porta Nova
Geographic situation The Baix Empordà wetlands are situated near the coast on the delta of the Ter and Daró rivers, between L’Estartit and the Montgrí Massif in the north and Pals and Begur Massif in the south. The wetlands comprise the Ter Vell, La Pletera , La Gola del Ter, La Fonallera and Les Basses d´en Coll marshes. LIFE project From 1999 to 2003, a Baix Ter lagoon and coastal system restoration project, co-financed by the European Union LIFE NATURA programme has targeted the Ter Vell and La Pletera marshes for a three-fold intervention. In the first phase of the project, the Ter Vell open water areas were enlarged and improved and sediments with excess organic material were removed. In the second phase, new pools were constructed at La Pletera and stocked with Iberian toothcarp (Aphanius iberus), endemic to the Iberian Peninsula . In the third and final phase, the dunes along the coastline were restored. The project was backed up by an overall plan to open up the marshes, and to improve and regulate the access roads. Recent publications include a brochure, a guide to the most common species and a guidebook on the Baix Ter wetlands. The restoration of the Baix Ter wetlands ecosystems continues with another European Union LIFE project called "Recovery of amphibian and water reptile habitats in the Baix Ter wetlands" (LIFE EMYSTER), to be completed in 2008. The aim of the project is to improve existing amphibian species and reintroduce the European pond turtle (Emys orbicularis) by restoring its natural habitat in these permanently or temporarily flooded fresh water marshes. For further information on the second LIFE project: www.lifeemyster.com
Symbol of Torroella, Montgrí Castle is situated at the summit of Montgrí Mountain, commanding a magnificent panoramic view of Canigó, Gavarres and Montseny mountain ranges and of the Mediterranean Sea with the Medes Islands in the foreground. In the year 1272 Torroella de Montgrí was proclaimed a royal town thus providing the crown with a major possession very near the Earldom of Empúries, with which it had been at war for many years. In 1294, as a result of the confrontations, King Jaume II ordered the construction of a castle at the summit of the Montgrí as a fortress to protect his dominions from Empúries. The conflict continued until 1325, when Count Hug VI of Empúries exchanged lands with Pere, the infant son of Jaume II. Construction work was carried out on the castle between 1294 and 1301 and was then discontinued. Four 31-metre long perimeter walls were built around a square floor plan, with a cylindrical tower in each corner. The four wings of the castle were never completed. The walls are 13 m high and are surmounted by square, pyramid topped battlements with loopholes at the base. FACT CARD Situation: Summit of the Montgrí Massif, at an altitude of 302 m. Walls: 31 m long and 13 m high, surmounted by square, pyramid topped battlements with loopholes at the base. Towers: Cylindrical, with three levels in the northwest tower and two levels in the other three. Façade: South-facing, with arched voussoir entrance gate. Interior: Square-plan, stone-paved central courtyard constructed over a large water cistern. Restoration works: Consolidation of parts of the wall, addition of a spiral staircase inside the northwest tower, construction of a walkway around the battlements, with safety handrail. Other constructions: Remains of walls on the south façade, water cistern on the north façade. Architectural style: Transition period between Romanesque and Gothic.
Medes Islands Situated in the heart of the Costa Brava, the Medes Islands constitute one of the principal marine flora and fauna reserves in the Western Mediterranean, a privileged natural area for visitors to this area and a much appreciated scuba-diving destination. The archipelago covers an area of approximately 23 hectares and is situated a mile off the Costa Brava, just opposite L’Estartit beach. The Medes Islands are a set of seven islets called La Meda Gran , La Meda Petita , El Medellot (or La Bota ), El Carall Bernat, Les Ferranelles, Els Tascons Grossos and Els Tascons Petits. The Medes Islands were listed as a marine reserve in 1983 and since then the area has seen a spectacular recovery of the rich seabed and of many sea and land species previously in danger of extinction. The pleasure of diving and boating around this beautiful seascape is thus enhanced making this an ideal place to spend a holiday. Some history The islands are uninhabited today but shipwreck remains testify to ancient Greek ships navigating these seas in classical times. Findings of lachrymatory phials and human bones suggest that the islands may have been used as a necropolis. In the 15th century, a fortress was constructed on La Meda Gran , and inhabited by the knights of St. Sepulchre. The monks eventually left and the fortress partially caved in after numerous pirate attacks in the 16th century. Throughout the 18th century wars the fortress was used as a prison and later as a military garrison until 1890. Today the Medes Islands are uninhabited. The lighthouse The first lighthouse was built on La Meda Gran in 1866, during the reign of Isabel II and was tended by a resident lighthouse keeper until 1930. The new automatic lighthouse is now powered by solar energy.
Our hotel is located only 28 km far from Girona. Visit the old city town center and the Jewish neighborhood.